Black Drop Coffee: an underrated gem

Caitlin Maughan, Opinion Editor

In September 2020, Black Drop Coffee opened its doors to Scotch Plains and Fanwood residents. In the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic, the quaint cafe went unnoticed by many, including me. However, I recently decided to try it out and realized what I had been missing out on. 

The shop is located less than a mile from Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School, which is no more than a 20-minute walk. This proximity and convenience mean that Black Drop Coffee is a great cafe for friends to visit after school for a coffee and conversation.  

When I stepped inside, the first thing I noticed was the peaceful atmosphere. The decor is minimalistic with a few plants and succulents and there are plenty of tables and chairs. Additionally, unlike many coffee shops such as Starbucks, the music in Black Drop Coffee is audible but quiet and calm. All of these elements make it the perfect place to study or catch up with friends.  

When it came time to order, I opted for my usual drink: an iced latte with three shots of espresso and whole milk. They had an array of delicious baked goods, including brownies and cookies, but I eventually decided on a croissant. Both the latte and croissant were delicious and I would definitely order them again; the coffee was high quality and the croissant was warm and flakey, just as it should be. 

Another pleasant aspect of my experience at Black Drop Coffee that I could not ignore was the exemplary customer service. The baristas were friendly and helpful. For instance, when my friend asked for a disposable bag for one of her personal items, the barista was more than happy to help. 

So if you live in the Scotch Plains-Fanwood area and you haven’t heard about Black Drop Coffee before, I strongly recommend you give it a shot.