Preview: spring sports

Anthony Malta and Jada Montgomery

Last year, the COVID-19 pandemic canceled spring sports seasons across the country. It proved to be the end for seniors yearning for a last run and underclassmen craving opportunities to prove themselves. 

Scotch Plains Fanwood High School’s track and field team looks to make up for last year’s lost season. Coming off a winter sectional championship win, Coach Jeffery Koegel’s program was optimistic entering spring track and field competitions before things got shut down.

“We were set for bigger and better things.” Koegel said. “Many of the student-athletes continued to train on their own in the hope that we would get back and have meets.”

Regardless of the disappointment, Koegel looks to enter the 2021 season strong. He is excited for this year’s meets and competition, aspects the coach yearned for over the past twelve months. 

Koegel urges all athletes, spectators and students to be open minded this season.

This will only work if everyone does their part,” Koegel said.  “We are very strict with our mask policies, but we can’t control what people do outside of practice. To anyone who is reading this: please wear a mask, maintain your distance and wash your hands.”

The highly anticipated winter wrestling season has been moved to spring because of COVID-19 concerns.  Wrestling is a contact sport that prevents athletes from wearing a mask or socially distancing. Wrestling is a sport that challenges safety guidelines, which is a major concern. That said, senior Jayden Nyamaika said that wrestling has undergone many changes in order to meet health protocols. 

“Wrestling never had cuts and now we have both tryouts and cuts,” Nyamaika said. Tryouts will be based on endurance, stamina, performance, grasp of the moves, ability and experience. We are not going to have a lot of people this year and may not really have a second string. It’s going to be odd because we usually have a huge team.”  

Even with fewer people, the dangers in the heart of wrestling still remain: close physical contact with other people for a prolonged amount of time.  

“I am still very concerned, but personally I feel that if one person on the team gets COVID-19, the whole team has a high chance of getting COVID-19. It’s the same with the other sports and other sports are doing fine. All in all, it’s the team responsibility to keep each other safe and to continue our season without interruption.” Nyamaika said.

Similar to wrestling, girls volleyball has also been pushed into the spring season for this year due to health concerns. 

“I am hoping for a safe and healthy season first of all,” varsity sophomore Abby Balagot said. “I just want to get one last good year in with the seniors on my team, and hopefully have an amazing record. With COVID-19, it’s hard to know what our goals can be, we don’t know if states would happen, or even counties. But just having a fun season and making the most out of it is my hope.” 

“As of right now I don’t have any concerns about Covid,” senior Dallas Lorenzetti said. “We got through the ‘Last Dance Tournament’ last season without any issues, so I think we’ll be alright. 

The baseball and softball teams are set for a highly anticipated return this season after last year’s cancelation. Both sports offer a good amount of distance between players with little need for close contact. 

Lacrosse is also back in it’s native season and ready for players to show off their abilities. 

Anticipation and hopes are high for the spring athletes of SPFHS. After last year’s cancellation of all spring sports, many athletes are striving to improve their skills and make the most of their season. 

To hear more about the start of spring sports, check out thefanscotian.com.