Signing day celebration for student-athletes of SPF

Jamie Frank

On Wednesday, February 5th, student-athletes participated in signing day in the New Gym at SPFHS. 11 seniors celebrated their commitment to Collegiate Athletic programs. The students will be playing soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, baseball or track as they look to take their athletic careers to the next level. 

Below is a list of students and the colleges they have committed to:

Olivia Zambrio – University of Pittsburgh – Cross Country/Track

Eli Wolman – Acadia University – Soccer

Dan Coyle – Colgate University – Soccer

Aiden Guma – Montclair State University – Lacrosse

Maggie LaPolla – University of Maryland Baltimore – Lacrosse

Cassidy Novello – Wellesley College – Field Hockey

Elizabeth Ley – Drew University- Soccer

Gabby Aloe – Stevens Institute of Technology – Soccer

Rachel Schoss – Virginia Wesleyan University – Soccer

Maya Kessler – Rensselaer Polytech Institute – Soccer

Michael Urbano – New Jersey City University – Baseball

According to ncsasports.org, “[signing day] is the first time throughout the year high school seniors can sign their National Letter of Intent and lock down their scholarship offer. Early signing periods are great for athletes who have an offer from one of their top schools, and they’re ready to make the commitment as soon as possible.”

Signing day is a substantial step in athletes pledging to play a sport in college. The National Letter of Intent (NLI) allows students to officially commit to a college.

Among the students committing to play sports in college is senior Cassidy Novello, who celebrated being the first individual from the SPF Field Hockey team to commit to playing on a collegiate level. Novello has been playing field hockey for over 5 years and is a prime example of how the athletic program of SPF can have a huge impact on a student’s life. 

“I am so happy that I can play the sport I love in college,” Novello said. “My entire field hockey experience through middle and high school has been amazing and I can’t wait to continue playing field hockey through college.”

Photo courtesy of John Mooney of TAPintoSPF