Corinne Lyght and Shawn Martin named athletes of the year for Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School

Joe Kaplan and Anthony Malta

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out this year’s athletes of the year. Through hard work and dedication, Shawn Martin and Corinne Lyght have been chosen to be this year’s athletes of the year for SPFHS. Coaches, students, parents and even faculty members have all witnessed what these athletes have been able to accomplish throughout their time here at SPFHS.

Whether it was Lyght paving her way to score during soccer, or Shawn Martin making defenders look silly during the football season, it has been clear that athletes of the year are the right title for Martin and Lyght. 

“Corinne has been an exceptional athlete all four years of high school,” varsity girls soccer coach Kevin Ewing said. “She has been one of the best female soccer players and best all around athletes to graduate from Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School. It has been a pleasure to have coached her.”

For those who haven’t had the opportunity to watch Lyght play soccer, she is a four time All Conference Soccer selection, four time First Team All County soccer, three time United Soccer Coaches Association Regional All American, Player of the Year in Union County Senior Year and All Time Goal Scorer for girls in SPF History 60 goals is all you need to know. 

“I’m very lucky to have played high school sports at SPF,” Lyght said. “I would not trade this experience for the world. I have learned a lot about myself and what it means to be a good teammate because of my experience here.”

Martin will forever be known as a multi-talented athlete in football and baseball. What he has been able to accomplish on the field has been extraordinary to watch. 

For baseball, he was a force to be reckoned with. He had a batting average of .333. Also, he led the team in walks (11), triples (4), home runs (5), runs batted in (25) and runs scored (23). 

“Shawn had a great season, and helped get the team wins in some pressure situations,” varsity baseball coach Joseph Higgins said.  “I am very happy for Shawn.  His attitude and approach are second to none.  He’s a great kid and his future is bright.” 

Now onto what got Martin into Southern Connecticut State, football. What isn’t there to say about what Martin accomplished during his football career at the high school? 

He made the Second All New Jersey Offensive Team in 2020, the NJFCA Super 100 All-State Team, the All-Conference team and won Kick Returner of the Year in 2020. These are all amazing accolades from such a star player. 

Congratulations to Lyght and Martin on their incredible achievements and their dedication to SPFHS sports.