Cold Weather Increases Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

by Hannah Simon

    Cold weather is increasing the risk of exposure to carbon monoxide. Furnaces are working extra hard to keep houses warm, increasing the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. According to the Minnesota Department of Health, The first sign of exposure to low concentrations of carbon monoxide is a mild headache. Continued exposure could lead to flu-like symptoms such as severe headaches, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea. These symptoms could progress to confusion, irritability, and impaired judgment if not treated. If these signs are ignored, you may lose consciousness and be unable to escape to safety. Be aware that using a furnace is not the only way to be exposed to carbon monoxide. It can be produced from any fuel-burning devices, such as sitting in a car to keep warm. If the car exhaust is covered by snow, the fumes will collect in the car. Recently, seven residents of Plainfield were hospitalized because of exposure to carbon monoxide. Luckily, the injuries caused by carbon monoxide were not deemed life threatening. Carbon monoxide is a serious threat, and everyone has to be conscience of it.