SPFHS Holds Annual Spring Choral Concert on May 10th

McKenna Dwyer, Staff Writer

On Wed. May 10, family and friends of Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School choral students filed into the Maya Ungar Auditorium for the annual Spring Choral Concert. The concert began at 7:30 P.M. and lasted around an hour and a half.

The concert consisted of performances by the Concert Choir, the Men’s Choir, Las Cantadores, Select Choir, Sensations, Chamber Choir and a final song by the graduating seniors. The seniors performed their rendition of “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts. 

“[Performing our senior song] was definitely an emotional moment for me,” senior Jessica Navarro said. “It was great being able to sing a final song with all of my friends that are going to be graduating, and it really hit me at that moment that my high school experience was coming to an end.”

While Navarro doesn’t plan to major in music in college, she is hoping to join a few choirs while furthering her education.

Choral director Jan Allen shared her hopes for the futures of her graduating students. 

“After [the seniors] sang at the concert, I [told] them that of course I hope they sing or do music in some capacity in college,” Allen said. “But even if they don’t, [I hope] that they can still love music and have good memories of their times doing it at [SPFHS]. Even if they’re [studying] engineering or becoming a lawyer, or a doctor or whatever they end up doing, I hope that [choir] is just a good part of their memories of high school.”

Due to the choir’s recent trip to Disney World in April, the choir performed songs that choir director Jan Allen described as ‘entertainment songs.. Some of these songs included “Africa” by Toto, the Treble Choir’s performance of “Don’t Start Now” by Dua Lipa, “Walk Like a Man” by The Four Seasons and a large-scale “Grease Medley” that included multiple choirs.

The senior choral students will be performing at their graduation on June 21, as a way to close out their final year at SPFHS.

As these students move on in their careers or education, we wish them the best of luck and hope that they continue to harbor their love of music!