Bring Your Child to Work Day: Showing the Little Ones Around SPFHS

Junior+Emersyn+Teicher+takes+English+Teacher+Christina+Held%E2%80%99s+children+to+the+gym.+They+played+many+fun+games%2C+including+duck-duck-goose.+

Junior Emersyn Teicher takes English Teacher Christina Held’s children to the gym. They played many fun games, including duck-duck-goose.

Keira Baerson, Feature Editor

Today, April 27, 2023, marked Bring Your Child to Work Day. The children of many teachers, administrators and staff toured the halls, getting a taste of the high school experience. 

Prior to Bring Your Child to Work Day, guidance counselor Catherine Phelps expressed enthusiasm about showing her son “the ropes” of Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School. 

“I am looking forward to [my son] seeing where I come every day after I drop him off at daycare. I am excited for him to see all the people that I work with, and he is very excited to see a high school,” Catherine Phelps said. “He knows that I work with big kids, so he thinks the cool thing about where I go to work is there are kids who can drive.” 

There were various exciting activities that entertained the children, while their parents were hard at work teaching their typical schedule. Some activities included making ice cream in the science wing and playing games in the gym with physical education students. 

While many students stayed at school to hang out with their teachers’ children, others ventured off to work with their own parents. Junior Julianne Friedson recalls going to work with her father, who is a financial advisor for families. 

“Seeing my dad’s job influenced my career path because, as nice as his office was, I realized that I didn’t want to be working in an office with a 9-5 job as he does,” Friedson said. “It was a little too mundane for me personally.”