SALSA Club Holds a Bracelet Fundraiser for People in Central American Countries

Keira Baerson, Feature Editor

Wednesday, March 8 marked the start to the Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School Spanish Club’s Bracelet fundraiser, which has continued on March 9, 15, and 16 in the main cafeteria during lunch. 

The club is partnering with The Pulsera Project—a nonprofit organization that connects Central American artists with students in the United States. Members of the Spanish (colloquially known as SALSA) club look forward to spreading their empowering message through creativity and art. This is a new project for the club and a great service opportunity to take advantage of. 

“It’s important to have the fundraiser because our school community isn’t really exposed to Central American cultures,” Co-President Abigail Balagot said. “By having this fundraiser or project, a lot more students will be exposed to different cultures and will help all these families in other countries.” 

The gorgeous hand-woven bracelets, or “pulseras”  being sold, are made by artists in Central American countries. The proceeds go directly back to those people and their families, specifically those of a low income status. 

When purchasing a pulsera for seven dollars, it will be accompanied with the name and picture of the person that handmade it. 

“[Pulseras] are part of an artist’s culture and who they are,” SALSA Co-Advisor Sonia Calamusa said. “By wearing [a pulsera] it raises awareness of the different Latin American cultures.” 

During the year, SALSA also partners with El Centro, an organization located in Plainfield, New Jersey. They mostly help the Spanish-speaking community and advocate for those struggling with the immigration system. With this organization, members can volunteer at a food bank to earn service hours and give back to the community.