SPFHS Freshman Delaney Farley Soars High During Winter Track Season

McKenna Dwyer, Staff Writer

Freshman Delaney Farley wasn’t planning to sign up for track when she walked into Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School in September. But after a successful fall season on the high school’s gymnastics team, Farley realized she was missing the competitive spirit of being a Raider athlete. A friend mentioned to her that winter track was starting up the following week. She decided to sign up. 

Despite the fact that Farley wasn’t originally thinking about doing track, she has been met with tremendous success.

“It kind of came naturally to me,” Farley said. “[Track] is something that is different [from] what I’m used to, [since] I’ve always done gymnastics. So it’s something I started for fun, but now it’s kind of like a thing that [can]..last through high school.”

Farley runs in the 55 meter dash and 200 meters in the relays. On Dec. 29, 2022, Farley was named the Joint Motion Physical Therapy Athlete of the Week.

“Delaney isn’t just fast for a freshman, she is fast for a high school girl of any grade level and experience level,” SPFHS track coach and math teacher Jeffrey Koegel said. “She’s already the second fastest female 55 meter dash competitor in school history. She came to us with no background in the sport and has already done so well. Right now, she has the 11th fastest 55 time in the state out of all female competitors from all four grade levels.”

Along with senior Jenai Berry, junior Abi Elliott, and junior Keira Kelly, Farley set a new school record on January 15, winning the NJSIAA Group III State Championship in the sprint medley relay, breaking the SPFHS record for the girls indoor sprint medley relay time with 4:17.79 seconds. The group of four were also named Joint Motion Physical Therapy Athletes of the Week on Jan. 25.

Prior to this, during her second meet ever, Farley won the 55 meter dash at the Len Pietrewicz Invitational, and also ran 200 meters during SPF’s 4 x 200 relay, which took first place. 

As a freshman and already a state champion, Farley is also attending nationals on the weekend of March 10. She is running in the 55-meter dash and in the sprint medley relay along with Berry, Elliott, and Kelly.

“The most important things right now are managing her physical health and not trying to do too much with her too soon,” Koegel said. “She’s done exceptionally well for [SPFHS] so far, but we don’t want to rush things. We want her to continue to develop over the next four years.”

As the year progresses, SPFHS students and staff alike look forward to seeing Farley’s performance at nationals and her progression over the rest of the year.