Diving into Esports: Inaugural Team Finishes Second at States

Jada Montgomery, Managing Director

The phrases electronics and sports don’t usually coincide. 

But Esports is different. 

Esports is a culmination of electronic video games that students practice to later compete in. These games include Rocket League, Super Smash Brothers, and Fortnite. Students regularly compete against other Esports teams in the county. 

The Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School Esports team began in September when students approached Video Production Educator Raymond Moskal. 

“The last week in September, I got us registered to play,” Moskal said. “We only had one week in between registration and when the games actually started, but we were able to get 18 students  playing Rocket League for the first week in October.”

After the team’s initial launch, Moskal was able to enter students into the state league. Like any other sport, Esports functions in seasons. It is year-round as it has seasons in fall, winter and spring. As for practice times, players usually practice after school and communicate via Discord (an application used for communication amongst groups. Users can text, voice call, create groups and join servers).

Ending the winter season strong, SPHS Esports finished second overall in the state finals.

Getting into the student experience of what it is like to be on the Esports team, junior Andrew Bartley gives perspective. 

“My favorite game to participate and compete in is Overwatch,” Bartley said. “I love the atmosphere on the team. There is a strong competitive and fun spirit, met with an overall great energy by everyone on the team. As a team, we are always laughing and making jokes.”

The Esports team gives students an outlet and an opportunity to turn the after school hobby of playing video games to the next level of strategy, competition and teamwork.