“Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness”: Bob of Flop?

Caitlin Maughan, Opinion Editor

All in all, “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” is neither a bob nor a flop. It falls in the murky space between with the other good movies that simply did not live up to my expectations.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

The best part of the film is by far Wanda Maximoff. In “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” the grief stricken mother fully transforms into the powerful Scarlet Witch. Even though Wanda is the antagonist of the movie, it is not difficult to sympathize with her. I even found myself rooting for her at times. Ultimately, she sacrifices herself to destroy the Darkhold, a dark and dangerous grimoire. Perhaps I am holding onto false hope, but I do not think that the Scarlet Witch will stay dead for long. 

Another exemplary aspect of the movie is the ambitious directing style. Sam Raimi, the director of “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” incorporates many horror elements. The film is undoubtedly darker than any other in the MCU.  

Additionally, the highly anticipated cameos do not disappoint. Dr. Strange travels to an alternate universe and encounters the Illuminati. The Illuninate includes Professor X, played by Patrick Stewart, Karl Mordo, played by Chiwetel Ejiofor, Captain Carter, played by Hayley Atwell, Captain Marvel, played by Lashana Lynch, Black Bolt, played by Anson Mount, and Mr. Fantastic, played by John Krasinski. Unsurprisingly, the Illuminati are quickly demolished by the Scarlet Witch in a brief battle sequence.  

However, as I mentioned, “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” did not live up to all of my expectations. Primarily, in accordance with the title, I expected more madness. Fans were expecting a massive culmination of the projects from phase four of the MCU. This film feels like another stepping stone that is leading to something grander. 

On top of that, there were some odd scenes including a battle between Dr. Strange and Dr. Strange from another universe in which the weapons are music notes. This is a stark contrast to the horror characteristics of the movie. Not to mention, the computer-generated imagery was not great and a lot of the jokes fall flat.  

Nevertheless, I did enjoy “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.” The movie lays the foundations for a great deal and I am excited to see America Chavez in phase four of the MCU.