The Future of Medicine at SPFHS

A+stethoscope+lies+on+top+of+a+patients+paperwork.+The+Medical+Club+hopes+to+get+some+medical+tools+to+help+rising+scientists+discover+what+they+enjoy.+

DarkoStojanovic / Creative Commons / via pixnio.com

A stethoscope lies on top of a patient’s paperwork. The Medical Club hopes to get some medical tools to help rising scientists discover what they enjoy.

Keira Baerson, Staff Writer

It was just another average day in Biology class when junior Emma Nobile came across a flier for the Medical Club. She had never heard of the club and it spiked her curiosity. However, Nobile quickly learned that it was yet another thing left in the dust as the coronavirus evaded our community. 

Nobile’s interest in the medical field, specifically neurology, has motivated her and some friends to revive the club.

“I think that the medical club will be able to help connect students who are interested in pursuing various careers in the medical field,”  Nobile told The Fanscotain. “I think it’s good to surround yourself with people that have the same goals as you [and] it can even give you motivation.” 

The medical field contains a plethora of careers, often making it difficult for rising scientists to discover what they are really passionate about. The Medical Club is hoping to help students explore the different options and ultimately find a career that they will genuinely enjoy.  

As a recently developed club, there are some kinks and logistics for Nobile and her fellow members to figure out. They are planning to have guest speakers who have first hand experience with working in the medical field. This will likely serve as inspiration for students who are unsure of the exact path they want to follow.  

In prior years of the Medical Club, they brought in Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), which gave students exposure to different aspects of the medical field. 

“My hope is that [members] come across something that they don’t think of,” Medical Club advisor Kristine Lockwood said. “Students have general ideas of like ‘I can be a doctor or a dermatologist, [but] there’s so many different types of doctors [and] so many different things I could be studying.’”

In order to involve future scientists at SPFHS, the club wants to introduce various different careers to its members. They are going to structure the meetings based on what their members want to learn. 

Nobile mentioned that they want to fundraise so that she can order suture kits for the club. These are surgical kits used when sterile supplies are not available. This would provide members with basic knowledge and prepare them for a future of science.   

“It is important to me that students are inspired and interested in science,” Lockwood said.