Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451” immediately captivates readers

Keira Baerson

As the novel sits untouched, it craves the attention of a new reader. Ray Bradbury wrote “Fahrenheit 451” in 1953.

Keira Baerson, Staff Writer

As his house burst into flames, Guy Montag stood there, helpless. His life was shattered to pieces and everything he ever loved was gone. 

In the novel “Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury, Montag lives in a dystopian society that consists of two things: destruction and despair. After many years of working as a fireman, Montag begins to question the reality of his job; Is it really necessary to burn literature? 

The judgement of Montag’s society is clouded by their obsession with media and television. Hatred for literature was prevalent and if anyone was found hiding a book, their house would be ignited.  

Montag’s wife, Mildred Montag is a prisoner to the television and a stellar example of what was wrong with their society. She was an angry woman with no regard for the world around her. All she cared about were the characters on television, who she referred to as “family.”  

Straying from the norms of society is the main idea addressed in the novel. Montag is able to create his own path in life, regardless of the influence from his wife, neighbors and fellow fireman. He came to the realization that his society was broken after watching a woman burn with her books. His interest in literature resulted in the destruction of his own home, but this ultimately set Montag free. 

An important aspect of this novel is lack of free will. Citizens are under constant surveillance of the mechanical hound, a machine that is used by the firemen to track down suspects who may own books. One indistinct move could cause someone their home or even their life. 

Once I began reading this novel, it was difficult to put down. I would certainly recommend it to a high school or college student. However, it includes some content which would be inappropriate and/or triggering for younger audiences. This book provides insight on society and the grave consequences that it can have on certain individuals. Through Montag’s struggles, readers can identify the importance of literature and its role in our society today. 

If you are looking for a good read, “Fahrenheit 451” is the perfect choice!