A letter from the stage manager of SPFHS’ Repertory Theatre’s “Les Miserables”

Charlotte Pollack, Feature Editor

With “Les Miserables” auditions falling on Nov. 22 and 23, students of Scotch Plains Fanwood high school may be wondering whether or not to sign their name on the auditions sheet. As the stage manager of this year’s Repertory Theatre production I am here to tell you: Take the leap and audition.

“Les Miserables” is a wonderful and classic show that tells the story of Jean Valjean who has abandoned his parole and cares for a young girl named Cosette who is the child of a deceased mother. Taking place in France in 1832, the characters experience an uprising in Paris. This musical contains action, romance, and some fantastic musical numbers.

This show has a large number of roles for all genders, voice parts, and skills and really opens up the opportunity for many students to be involved.

Repertory Theatre is much more than a musical; it is a community. Many students have found lifelong friendships and learned skills they are unable to find anywhere else. With a whole team of production staff and the support of your fellow castmates, you are sure to find yourself learning and enjoying the process.

You may be on the fence about whether or not you should audition, however the opportunity to be involved in live theatre is one like no other. Even if you feel that singing is not your strong suit, it is still worth auditioning. If casted, you will have the chance to work with many staff and students who will help and support you in improving your skills and preparing you for opening night. 

The show will be directed by Morgan Knight who has just recently wrapped up the SPFHS Fall play production of A Christmas Carol. The audition process consists of a group dance call followed by individual auditions that require singing a small section of a song of your choosing (preferably in the style of “Les Miserables”) followed by a reading of a short scene with a staff member.

To sign up for auditions or to get more information, all you need to do is sign up for the SPF Theatre google classroom (code: dculoou) or email Morgan Knight or Jan Allen for more information. Good luck to you all and I hope you consider auditioning for this amazing show.