Students Concerned for the Needy Holds Fabio’s Bistro Fundraiser

Charlotte Gumpel, Arts and Culture Editor

Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School’s club Students Concerned for the Needy (SCN) held a fundraiser at Fabio’s Bistro in Fanwood on Wednesday Oct. 27. 

Teenagers and families alike bustle in and out of the busy local restaurant in support of one of the most active student clubs at SPFHS. Whether it be organizing pajama and food drives, putting together candy bags for Halloween, holding dance marathons for the Children’s Specialized Hospital or writing cards for Veterans, SCN works around the clock to provide food and resources for struggling families all around New Jersey. 

SCN is following the success of Spirit Week and Homecoming to raise some Raider pride! 15 percent of the proceeds from the Fabio’s Bistro event will be donated to the club to fundraise future events and support other programs. 

“The Fabio’s Bistro fundraiser is going towards SCN for our future projects,” senior President Julianna Warren said. “Including our second annual dance marathon in June! It is our big final end of year project, so keep a lookout!”

SCN has started off strong with all their projects and have great ambitions for the upcoming school year.

“Our goal for the school year for SCN is to collaborate with other schools in Union County for different fundraisers we are running in order to raise more money and awareness for our projects,” junior Union County coordinator Chloe Burfeindt said.

“[We have] a lot of fundraisers planned during December. We have a lot of fun opportunities like Angel Tree, where we give toys to children [in need],” Casimiro said. “There are also drives for the Salvation Army. There is a UNICEF [candy box] project for Halloween too.”

SCN is looking to keep their momentum going by being encouraging to their members and fostering a good work environment.

“Join SCN to make a difference – and you can join whenever you want,” junior Vice President of communications Andrew Smith said. “For future members, join because it is a really great program for not just service hours, but it is also a great program if you want to help out others.”

The club holds meetings every Wednesday and is always welcoming new members. SCN is gearing up for a busy and successful year, so be on the lookout for new events!