SPF Marching Band goes back in time

Charlotte Pollack, Feature Editor

For those who remember the great marching band shows in Scotch Plains-Fanwood history, this year’s show might elicit nostalgia. Raider Flashback, the title of this year’s show, involves three of the staff’s favorite songs from past shows. 

Malagueña,” opens the show, Followed by “Perfidia,” with a special vocal performance from senior Rica Lopez. Lopez is a member of the Colorguard and takes center stage during “Perfidia” to sing the show stopping tune. The show closes with a performance of “Sing Sing Sing.”

Oct. 2, 2021, SPF marching band took home a first place trophy for their class, 4A, at the competition at John P. Steven’s High School. While they didn’t win overall, they had a dazzling performance. This competition was their first of the season after hosting their home competition on [this date].

“The energy at a band competition is unlike anything I’ve experienced,” senior and section leader Adam Kiell told The Fanscotian. “It’s just a huge rush of adrenaline for the ten minutes of performing that we do. The feeling of performing the show under the lights in front of an audience that wants to see what you’re doing and enjoys the band is amazing and helps keep that energy going.”

Senior Alyssa Warbeck is a captain of the Colorguard and a soloist.. She begins the show, spinning on a platform. During the third song, she performs a tap solo in which there is a call response between her and the percussion members. It is a truly unique aspect of an exciting show.

“This show is so high energy that we thought it would be a good idea to add some tap dance into it,” Warbeck said. “It’s just for some fun character work and personality throughout the show.”

After a shortened season last year, with no competitions, returning members of the marching band are thrilled to be back in the familiar environment, truly doing what they love and creating beautiful music.