UC to hold emergency food distribution event on October 9

Elizabeth Diamond, Staff Writer

On Sat. Oct. 9, the Union County Board of County Commissioners will hold an emergency food distribution event at Kean University for those who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Since the start of the pandemic, many have lost their loved ones and jobs, struggling both emotionally and financially.

Starting at 8 a.m., the first 1,000 people to arrive at this drive-thru event will be given boxes of food, which they can take home to their families.

In order to assure that there will be enough food for everyone, one household is allowed to receive only one food distribution each. This event will take place on a first-come-first-served basis.

Many students at SPFHS agree that the pandemic has changed their lives entirely and for some, that means struggling to support their families. This emergency food distribution event will come as a relief to many and provide them with hope for the future.

“A lot of people lost their jobs and were affected by the coronavirus,” sophomore Michelle Nikolaev said. “They can be put in a poor situation so this would be helping them be able to take care of themselves and survive until they can —be in a better situation.”

Anyone attending today must bring proof of NJ residency and clear out the trunk of their vehicle prior to the event. In addition to the distribution of food, there will be free testing and vaccinations for COVID-19 available.