Student Council contest challenges students to create 3D recycled art

Erica Schindler

Attention creative students! The Class of 2024 Student Council is currently hosting a 3D Recycled Art Competition. Now’s the chance for any and all students to show off their creative and artistic abilities, have some fun and possibly win a Dunkin’ gift card. All students are eligible to enter by submitting their art by Friday, Feb. 5.

Virtual learning has eliminated many in-person activities, but the Student Council at Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School has made the best out of the situation. After seeing other grades hold baking competitions, the freshman student council was inspired to host a virtual competition of their own. Their idea was a 3D Recycled Art Competition.

“Our goal is to provide fun activities and events for all types of people,” Kyle Karyczak, freshman and 2024 student council president, said. “So by having the art contest we were able to appeal to artistic students, who often are overlooked when it comes to activity planning and organizing.”

In addition to being a fun and artistic activity, this contest is environmentally friendly and can start a conversation about recycling and waste. Participants must make their art out of recycled materials.

“By making the art competition recycled, we hoped to have participants and those who vote really think about their waste and carbon footprint while viewing the art,” Karyczak said.

The contest is open to all students in any grade. Submissions must be art pieces made from mostly or completely recycled materials. The art must be three-dimensional as well. Students must submit their art for the contest by Friday, Feb. 5. The following week, students will be able to vote for the winner during their homeroom class. A winner will be announced by Friday, Feb. 12.

“Students should enter the contest because it gives students a chance to show their artistic abilities to a large audience in the entire school,” Karyczak said. “Also, the winner with the most votes will receive a $10 Dunkin Donuts gift card.”

The Class of 2024 Student Council hopes to hold more virtual activities in the coming months, such as a movie night and game night. Student council is also open to suggestions for activities and events. Students with ideas can reach out to the student council by emailing [email protected]. For updates, follow the SPF 2024 Student Council on Instagram @spfhs2024.