SPFHS Color Guard is missing their fall season

Charlotte Pollack, Entertainment Editor

With the Color Guard having such a busy schedule every year, between the Marching band season and the Winter Guard season, their activities have been put to a halt because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This leaves participants missing out on their beloved seasons.

While the Marching band season is planned to happen this Spring, Winter Guard has not been announced yet. Just like many winter sports, the Color Guard might have to miss out on their season. This brings much disappointment to all its members; however, they have not lost hope.

I am so heartbroken that I can’t spin this season,” junior Melanie Lowell said. “I was so unbelievably excited to be trying out for a captain position along with possibly participating in flag line and weapon line this year, and I’m extremely upset that it might not happen at all.  I am optimistic but with the way things are going and how cases are rising again I don’t think the season will happen”

Winter Guard is a season only for the members of the Color Guard, it does not involve the marching band. Their season usually runs from Dec. to March. 

“I’m just hoping we can get back to being with that community and the feeling of performing and walking on and off of the field,” junior Alyssa Warbeck said. “I am looking forward to the late nights and early mornings, and relaxing on the bus after competitions.  If we do have any of these seasons, I’m hoping that I’ll be able to try out for Color Guard captain, which is something I’ve been planning on doing for a while now.”

While many school related activities have been cancelled this year, Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School students remain hopeful that things will be changing soon.