Virtual Tony Awards shed some light on Broadway

Charlotte Pollack, Entertainment Editor

With COVID-19 shutting down so many activities and gatherings that are important to many people, it continues to strike the Broadway community. While initially shutting down Broadway in March, the shutdown has been extended until the Spring of 2021. With this being said, the 74th annual Tony Awards that were set to have taken place in June, have been postponed until further notice.
This was a disappointment to many people in the Broadway community as well as many students at Scotch Plains-Fanwood High School who pull a lot of joy from watching their favorite actors and actresses perform and win at the awards ceremony. The shutdown affected a lot of students who are big Broadway fans who were looking forward to the new season with new shows coming out.
“Broadway shutting down has been really shocking to me,” junior Rica Lopez said. “The theatre industry has really been damaged by the pandemic and many actors and creators have not been able to do what they love.” 
 With no end to the shutdown in site and no idea of when the Tonys could happen, the organization decided to put on its first online Tony awards. 
This groundbreaking event is set to be scheduled later this year with the nominations coming out very recently. 
“Obviously it’s the safe and smart thing to do,” junior Robert Dobies said. “The events of the 2019-2020 Broadway season were cut short, but that doesn’t take away from their excellence. They absolutely deserve to be recognized.”