Introducing The SPF Fashion Club: The perfect fit for the fashion-forward

Rachel Ducran, Staff Writer

Calling all of the Scotch Plains-Fanwood fashion buffs— the SPF Fashion Club is back after a three-year hiatus, and it’s the place to be! If you’re interested in all the latest fashion news, the most popular stores to shop at, the best trends of the year or if you have a personal flair that you want to share with others, then this club is the one for you. 

The SPF Fashion Club hosted its first meeting after school over Zoom on Wednesday, Oct. 23. The advisor of the club is gym teacher Lauren Mazzarella, along with sophomore student advisors Jordynn Blackwell, Bridget Abbott, Teddie Liederman and John Leonardo. 

The purpose of the SPF Fashion Club, a revival of the original one with the same name that disbanded in 2017, is to attract and bring together individuals who have a passion for fashion and an interest in design.

“We wanted students to have a safe space to learn about and create fashion,” Abbott said. “Additionally, we wanted to discuss current trends, issues and politics intertwined with fashion.” 

Over time, the group aims to roll out a plethora of entertaining activities for the participants to engage in, even amid the circumstances of the pandemic.

“We have already started weekly Fashion Fridays, where members can submit pictures of their favorite outfits that go along with the weekly theme,” Abbott said. “By the end of the school year, we hope to have some charity events such as a clothing drive and also a student-run fashion show! We really hope to take a field trip to New York City at some point, too.” 

The club is quickly growing in popularity— over fifty students have joined, and its Instagram page has accumulated over 150 followers.

“My fellow club advisors and I are incredibly grateful that we have lots of members who have a great interest in fashion,” advisor Teddie Liederman said. “We can’t wait to see the club continue to grow as time goes on, new members always welcome!”

The SPF Fashion Club meets every Monday from 2:30-3:30. If you’re interested in joining, the Google Classroom code is pfu36vw.